12.14.2009

In these shoes

I want to share my two favorite menswear designers of the moment. Gareth Pugh and Michael Bastian. Both are from completely opposite sides of the fashion spectrum, but I'm completely obsessed with both. I do not consider myself a fashionista, but I do occasionally brush up on collections and research trends. You know, a guy can never be on the 'Don't' list!

I'll start with Pugh. My love and fascination with his collections began in the Fall of 2006 when he showed his Spring 2007 collection in Paris.

AMAZE BALLS! It was Chess Board Goth meets Stay-Puft Club Kid. It had such a dark intrigue, and such a sharp, polished angle. In a balloon world, I would be a clubkid, dressing as avant garde as I wanted to, expressing whatever I felt. These designs reignite that little bit of secret fantasy I've always had. Pugh has only had two full menswear collections, both for Fall. Fitting don't you think? His pieces don't really scream sunshine, laughter, and reawakening...

Gareth Pugh has had several of my favorite celebs sport his fashions. Lady Gaga wore a jacket of his, Beyonce used a dress for her tour, and Kylie Minogue had him fashion a few things for her '07 and '08 tours. LOVE!
His past collections have been sprinkled with men, which has always been a treat, but to have two shows fully committed is spectacular. Pugh's Fall 2010 collection is more Edward Scissorhands on heroin than his usual heavily textured collections.

How fabulous are those cumber-bun trousers? I love Pugh's inspiration and footwear from Goth with textures and silhouettes that work for evening wear....oh, and fur. Some things were a tad too Edward Scis; with the dangling chain maille from the wrists...emulating the scissorhands, but oh well, hopefully he credited Burton as an inspiration! Like art in a museum, Pugh's collections stir emotions in me, they're twisted and dark, mysterious, and slightly naughty. Ultimately, isn't that the point? Ca CAW!



And at the other end....

OK- So I'm not the only one who adores Michael Bastian. He's been nominated for the CFDA Menswear designer of the year 2 years running, and got a nod for newcomer of the year in 2007. Bastian was once the Men's Director of Bergdorf's, which may not be a surprise considering his elevated preppy designs.

Bastian creates the look that I wish I could pull off in real life. I would never be ashamed to wear anything of his. His collections throughout the years have inspired me to appropriately accessorize and attempt to play with color. One could say he's a stylized Ralph Lauren meets DSquared. What I like about Bastian's readytowear is his playfulness with color and the slight modifications to fit and shape. He's very familiar with a man's physique and he tailors it nicely. OK, so he's a little faggy sometimes, but this is Fashion, Daaahhhhling!

All I have to say is...WRIST GLOVES and BALLET FLATS. How groundbreaking is a man pulling off ballet flats? I cannot get over this look. As Rachael Zoe would say, "I die." Now, at one of Pugh's shows, Zoe would die, and the world of...everything, would be a better place. Again, Bastian's inspirations are a little art imitating art, Prince Eric much? But omelet this one slide though- Eric is my favorite Disney Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment